Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Camping Day 2

Day two of our camping trip started bright and early for Spencer, who had to drive back down to the city for a full day of work at the office. 

That left me alone for the day, with the dog and Spencer's gun to keep me safe.  The night before, Spencer had me practice taking off the safety and pretend to shoot the gun at the door of the trailer - where the intruder would be.  Luckily, I never had to put that training to use.

I spent most of the day rotating between three activities - hiking, reading, and playing Quiddler solitaire.



Quiddler solitaire is fun the first couple of times you play.  By game 7 or 8, it gets a little old.

Hiking, on the other hand, never gets old!  I love the exercise, fresh air, and beautiful scenery!











Jack loved chasing squirrels - and anything else that moved.

 "Now where did that squirrel run off to?"

"This may not be a squirrel, but I do love these bubbly white waves!"



I started reading The 5,000 Year Leap by Cleon Skousen in between hikes.  Every American should read this book.  I haven't finished yet, but already I am learning so much about the founding of our country.



While I spent my time reading, Jack investigated all the best spots for lying around the campsite. 



Every time I looked up from my book, Jack was lying in a new spot.





Silly dog!

Eventually, though, Jack must have become a little bored.  After glancing up from my book and realizing he was nowhere to be seen, I started to get a little panicked.  I called and called his name.  I walked up and down the road and trails by our campsite.  I checked down by the river.  I imagined him getting swept down the current or being bitten by a rattlesnake. 

After more than half an hour of searching, I even said a prayer that he would be found.  Finally, after coming back to the trailer after another search along the river, I saw Jack walk out from behind some bushes.  His ears were down, his tail between his legs, and all he wanted was to go lay down in the trailer.  And that was fine with me.  Who knows what kind of adventure he had!

Spencer showed up back at camp just after 7:00 pm, and after another delicious tin foil dinner we sat around the fire for a while. 



Soon the flames died down and all that was left was a pile of glowing red coals.



It was time to wind down now with a game of Quiddler and some hot cocoa with sliced strawberries.


 I must say, the strawberries were a great addition to our steamy cups of cocoa.

Then it was off to bed again, to prepare for the final day of our camping excursion.

1 comment:

Michael Jolley said...

I expected to see Sirius Black's face appear in those hot coals. (Nerd Alert!)