Sunday, October 31, 2010

Dora? Not quite...

Every year at the beginning of October, I start stressing about what to be for Halloween.  As a first grade teacher, I pretty much have to dress up every year.  This year, my costume ended up being one of the easiest ever - thanks to a dress I purchased for my birthday this summer and a hat I borrowed from my dad.  Throw on some knee-high boots and a pair of binoculars, and VOILA! -



I called myself an explorer, and even thought of wearing a "My name is..." sticker with Dora written on it.  Then I could be Dora the Explorer.  But I decided against that at the last minute.  At school, I was called a variety of fun names - zoologist, ranger, safari-er, Africa hunter, someone who looks for animals, and more.

Spencer and I did not go to any Halloween parties this year, so he didn't have a costume.  If we had gone somewhere, I wanted to wrap him up in a roll of butcher paper and he could be my map.  Maybe next year.

We stayed home on Saturday night to pass out candy to the trick-or-treaters, and I couldn't believe how many kids came by!  Our neighborhood is pretty small, and full of young families.  Also, the ward didn't do a trunk or treat.  So if kids wanted to dress up and get candy, they would have to work for it!  It was nice to know that some of the traditions I remember best about Halloween as a child are still going strong.  Even the rain we got early in the evening did not deter the trick-or-treaters.  We ran out of candy around 6:30 or 7:00, so while Spencer drove down to the store for more I passed out hot cocoa packets.  Whatever works, right?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um...you are GORGEOUS my dear! And your cute classroom makes me miss you!!! I miss your handwriting on our white board :) Darling costume!

crystal said...

I am totally diggin' your costume! You look so cute! I love that you had lots of trick-or-treater's this year! Fillmore was DEAD! 3 wards did trunk-or-treat this year so no one was home and no one was out on the streets. I was totally bummed out.

Mark and Kristen said...

I love your halloween costumes. Creativity at it's finest. I think I'm signing up for the high jump at the summer games, wanna come play?