Friday, July 16, 2010

Cilantro, anyone?

I planted a tiny little cilantro start in our front flower bed, and the thing will not stop growing!  Not that I'm complaining.  I LOVE cilantro!  But seriously, I will not be able to use it all.  Not even close.  So if you're in the area and want some fresh grown cilantro, let me know.

Today I picked some to put in a black bean corn salsa.  Yummy! 



The chips and salsa went perfectly with the fresh lime Sprite I made for myself. 



Aww, summer.  I love it so much.  Even the boring days.

Oh, and on a side note, did you know that cilantro is another name for coriander?  That little tidbit is brought to you by my dad.  I even verified it on wikipedia!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I LOVE cilantro as well, and wish I was closer to enjoy it. Did you know Cilantro has a very similar plant named Culantro which can easily be confused. Especially when you have two kids fighting in the store and your trying to buy cilantro for your garden and they look very similar with similar spellings. It took a week or two of growing before I realized this "cilantro" did not look right. I double checked the name tag and it said, "culantro" DUHH!!

Mark said...

Cilantro is the leaf, and coriander is technically the seed. Supposedly if you have the plant in full sun it'll run to seed much faster, and not give you as much of the leaf that we all love so much. For that, it's supposed to be in partial shade.

My mutant "culantro" plant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium_foetidum) is getting so much sun that it's just seeding out with tiny leaves instead of the more desirable fragrant long leaves. Next time I'll work on my reading comprehension and buy the right plant!

Paul & Kaylene said...

I like watermelon;)