Saturday, May 16, 2009

Green Thumb

After two Saturday mornings and a LOT of digging up rocks, we have our own little veggie garden! Our yard is definitely not designed for a garden. Our backyard is north facing, narrow, with a steep rocky hill in the only good sun spot. The sides of our house are too narrow and shady for any kind of garden, and who wants veggies growing in the front yard?

So, after much deliberation and advice from Spencer, I decided to level out a part of the rocky hill in the backyard. Little did I know that it was about 80% rock and 20% pebbles! All the rocks you see bordering the new garden are what we dug up trying to level the ground a little.



We brought in a bunch of good garden soil and mulch from Home Depot, and we now have four varieties of tomato plants, two zucchini plants, one yellow squash, and a butternut squash. After close to five years of marriage, we finally have our first official vegetable garden. Now hopefully I will be able to keep all the plants alive and well through the growing season!

Here is the before and after shot.

BEFORE


AFTER

2 comments:

Mark and Kristen said...

good job!! I'm on a hiatus from gardening this year. I'm lousy.

Sara said...

Nice work! It is fun to catch up on your blog and your life. It takes me a while to read people's blogs but I do love it. I love you guys!