Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pony Express Trail

A couple of weekends ago Spencer and I (and the dog) took a drive down the old Pony Express Trail.  If I remember correctly, it starts somewhere west of Eagle Mountain and winds south around western Utah until ending near Delta.   It's a fairly well-maintained dirt road, about 4-5 hours from start to finish.  If you want to know more about the trail itself, click here.



Spencer recently had the 4Runner re-geared.  I don't know exactly what that means, but it has something to do with compensating for the bigger tires he put on so we can maintain better gas mileage and power ratio.  I think.  Anyway, they needed to be broken in a bit, so we figured this would be a fun way to do it.

We stopped at a couple of monuments and ruins of Pony Express stations along the way.





We drove through a big herd of deer and saw some wild mustangs.  I didn't get a picture of the mustangs unfortunately.



After finishing the trail, we kept going on down to Fillmore to visit my parents for a little while, and then it was back home (on the freeway this time) to Pleasant Grove.  Overall, a very nice day trip.

I figured this would be a good indicator to see if I could handle an extreme off road trip while 7 1/2 months pregnant.  The Pony Express Trail went off without a hitch, so the following weekend we packed up and hit the road for Hole in the Rock.  The Pony Express Trail may as well have been a paved interstate compared to the trail for Hole in the Rock.  But that will be its own post, so stay tuned!


No comments: