Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Boy, oh boy!

We went to our 20 week ultrasound appointment on December 22nd and found out, much to our surprise, we are having a BOY!!

Spencer and I both thought it would be a girl, and we even had a name all picked out.  Now we are hunting for a good boy name!  We are both so excited.

So here's how the ultrasound went.  The tech was very personable, and I think did a great job with everything.  We saw our little baby on the monitor right away, and he sure was active!  I hadn't really felt a whole lot of movement that I could recognize as the baby, so it was so reassuring to see that he was definitely moving around just fine.  Everything looked good and healthy, and the shot she got of the "boy parts" was very clear.  There shouldn't be any surprises on the day of his birth!

Here are the pictures from the ultrasound.  We also have a DVD of the entire process.  Each little picture has been labeled in the top left corner telling what the image is showing.

(click on the image to enlarge it)
My favorite is the top right picture where he is yawning with his little hand up by his face.  So cute!

Our appointment was scheduled for 7 pm, and when it was all over we went into the hallway and sat on the couch for a while just soaking it all in.  We called and texted family members to share the news, and then Spencer and I just sat with each other and enjoyed the moment.  

Since the ultrasound, I have really wanted to get things prepared for the baby.  I have spent hours on Amazon.com reading reviews and adding baby products to our registry.  I have also started organizing the baby room.  We've set up the crib and bought a used changing table and ordered crib bedding.  We still need a crib mattress, but I'm trying to hold out on buying one in case we acquire one as a gift.  Spencer's parents gave us an ADORABLE wooden rocking chair for the baby for Christmas, and my parents gave us a bag full of baby clothes, bottles, blanket, and more.  

I'm a little antsy about getting a bassinet, but it has been hard finding a good one for a reasonable price.  I have to keep telling myself I still have MONTHS left to go before the baby comes, but I just want everything in place NOW!  And Amazon.com's baby registry isn't helping.  Have I mentioned the hours I've spent on there?  And it's not like I am adding tons of things to our registry, it's just that each item has to be carefully scrutinized and compared and the reviews have to be read... 

So as of tomorrow I will be 22 weeks along, or about 5 months.  I'll post a belly picture tomorrow or Friday.  Today for the first time I can visibly see my tummy being kicked around by the baby.  It is pretty amazing.


2 comments:

Lisa S. said...

I am so excited for you. The same thing happened to Keith and I when we had our ultrasound. We thought it was a girl too and had a name all picked out. Landon didn't get his name until he came because we couldn't settle on a boy name. Good luck with that process. You will love having a boy. Congrats!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

That is so awesome! I am happy for your little family. I hope you have been feeling well, were only about 4 weeks apart.